Monday, August 10, 2009

have you lost your mind?

I have never been one to sit still..."relaxing" isn't really in my vocabulary and with "24" on summer break, there isn't much reason to sit now. In 2002 I decided the best solution to avoid becoming stagnant was to try running a marathon. The day before my 30th birthday I ran the Marine Corps Marathon and survived...

I swore I would never do it again...

A couple of years ago, having no recollection of the pain, I decided to do it again. Following a great training season, my best friend John Murray and I ran Marine Corps. The race was fun, but the training was the true blast. Short runs during the week with long runs on Sunday followed by breakfast. Life was not bad.


















In the continuing saga of p
ushing my aging ankles and knees to the limit, John and I are stepping up to another challenge...The 2010 Goofy Challenge. In the beginning of January [9th and 10th to be exact], John and I will be venturing through Disney World in Orlando Florida. We won't be riding Space Mountain; rather, we will be running a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full marathon on Sunday. 13.1 miles + 26.2 miles = 39.3 miles in 2 days.

Why you ask? A valid question...

My answer...why the hell not? The only live once, why not try something nuts every once in a while.

On 20 April 2000, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. In December 2007, I had 12 inches of small intestine, some of my large intestine and my appendix [they threw this in for free] removed. While the benefit of carrying less weight on long runs seems like the crux of this decision, it was actually the Crohn's that had made this a non-decision...it had to happen.

For the last 6 years I have volunteered in a variety of capacities at Camp Oasis in Kintnersville, PA for one week every summer. Camp Oasis is for kids with Crohn's and/or Colitis an
d is one of the greatest parts of my year. In one week, I will be in PA at camp and I could not be more excited.









As a result of this thrill of working with incredible kids, I am raising money for this slightly insane run to go directly to CCFA. Every PENNY donated goes directly to CCFA and its endeavors to cure these diseases. I encourage everyone to get involved. Donate $1. Donate $5. Donate $10. I speak first hand when I say that this is money well spent.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, you can donate online at http://www.active.com/donate/lv09dcvirginia/GoofyChallenge

Keep coming back to this site as I chronicle our training adventures [and mis-adventures] leading up to the big weekend. If you want to get out and go for a run, we love training partners!

3 comments:

  1. You're the man boss. Great job and good luck! See you soon. If you ever need any "fan simulation" on your long runs let me know. Luckily for me, we can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as you go by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - You are absolutely incredible. I wish you the best in your training and look forward to reading your blog updates. Have a wonderful time at camp. I wish I could join you again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DSB-Kudos to you and your crazy drive. I wish you the best of luck and know you'll do great! After all, you are going to the one place on earth where all dreams come true...

    Kimmie

    ReplyDelete